Cornerstone Insurance Agency Blog
Problems occur on the road, especially at intersections because drivers are not clear who has the right of way. If everyone thinks they have the right of way, it would only take a few minutes and you have chaos due to the battle of rights.
So, what is right of way?
It means if a driver can keep on driving, or allow the other motorists to go first. This also includes giving way to pedestrians and animals to cross. The following are rules to remember to determine who should yield to whom. Understanding and adhering to the rules can save everyone's time and life.
1. If you are driving towards a public road, the passing vehicles there have the right of way. Stop and wait for them to pass.
2. When it comes to merging and roundabouts, the vehicles that are in the intersection before you should go first. You have the right of way if you are driving and making a full stop on a side street before a merge.
3. Yield to the pedestrians who are crossing the street. They have the right of way. If the car in front of you has stopped to wait for the pedestrian to get to other side. Even if the light turns green, you should not overtake the vehicle ahead.
This also applies to those people who are using a seeing eye dog at the crosswalk. This could likely mean, the human has an impaired vision.
4. When you need to turn left at an intersection, you must make a signal about it before you get to the intersection about 30 meters in advance. By doing that, you have the right of way. Yield to the vehicles who are near the intersection by letting them pass.
5. In case you arrive at an intersection at the same time with another vehicle, the right of way goes to the one from the right side.
6. You must always give way to the car that is already waiting at an intersection before you. It is improper to speed up so you can get ahead.
7. Always let an emergency vehicle pass first. Make way for it to pass and not tag along behind it.
The rules and guidelines about driving and right of way are made to keep everyone safe. Make sure you follow them even if you think many are not. Following the rules lowers your risks when driving on the road. It is your way of protecting yourself, your passengers, and your car. Having said that, did you already buy your auto insurance for that added protection? At Cornerstone Insurance Agency, we do our best in making sure that our clients are well-protected with affordable and comprehensive policies. To learn more about how we can help you, please contact our agency at (888) 661-8831 or Click Here to request a free quote.